Have you ever been told that you are too sensitive? Or do you know someone who you think is super sensitive? In this article I’m gonna share 24 signs that you might be a highly sensitive person, or HSP in short.
The day I found out I was highly sensitive was really an important day for me, because it was just such an eye opener and it made me understand myself a whole lot better. They say that around 10% of all people are highly sensitive. And at the end of this article, you will know if you are one of them. If you want, grab a pen or something to count, how many of these you recognize. Let’s go!
Tips to Recognize Pensitive People
- Loud music drives you crazy, especially in small spaces like a living room or someone’s car. All your senses are always hightened to the max.
- When you’re outside and they’re doing construction, you almost have to cover your ears.
- When there’s a bright light, you squint your eyes,
- when you’re walking outside and there’s a strong wind or heavy rain, it really tires you out.
- When your boss hands you a document, you instantly notice that he or she made a few types of the images are not alligned correctly, and there’s a slight difference in font in the first and second half.
- You tear up every time that sad commercial is on tv, or you see someone crying, or you even think about an animal in the pound.
- When you’re hungry, you’re hungry. Your bloodsugar drops, you can’t concentrate, you feel dizzy, lightheaded, or even get a little queezy until you actually eat something.
- When you were a kid, you had a rich imagination and people were always amused by what you came up with. When I was a kid, I had an imaginary purple cat that I would walk around and collect kitty treats for. When you get a papercut, you are aware of it and feeling it all day, and you might even walk around with your finger.
- In fact, you’re probably more sensitive to pain then most people. You prefer to watch sad movies by yourself because you know you’re gonna be sobbing like a baby.
- Whenever you walk into a room, you can instantly sense the atmosphere and how everyone in the room is feeling. The mood of the person you’re with has an immediate impact on how you feel inside.
- You get the strong urge to retreat and be alone frequently, especially when you’ve had a busy day or been around a lot of stimuli. You are highly intuitive and you make your decisions based on your gut feeling.
- You prefer to drink coffee and herbal tea because cafeine has a strong impact on you, and drinking two cups of coffee will make you go crazy.
- When a fire truck or an ambulance drives by, you easily get overwhelmed by the sound and cannot find ease until they are completely out of your soundscape. Music or art can touch your soul and move you to the core.
- People love to stand behind doors and scare you because they know you always jump up and yell funnily, even when you expected them to be there. Watching scary movies will make you turn on all the lights in your house and have trouble sleeping for a week.
- You have a nose for delicate smells, sounds, and tastes, and you can enjoy them immensely.
- Your friends always feel better when you’re with them, because you always instinctively feel what they need.
- When you know someone’s watching you, timing you, or you have to compete against someone, your performance drops instantly.
- You are able to see connections between different things that other people tend to miss. Going to a busy themepark, festival, or shopping center completely takes it out of you.
- You often wonder how other people can be so insensitive about stuff that completely throws you off your rocker. You can be pretty, clumsy and people are always commenting on how you always drop things or bump your knee against the dishwasher.
- When you take some medicine or herbal remedy, the lowest dosage already has a big impact on you.
- When you’re walking outside, you tend to look at the ground more than straight or ahead. People sometimes tell you to man up and stop being such a wuss.
- When you visit a friend, you immediately notice they’ve changed a few things in their livingroom.
- When you’re working with people on a project, you’re usually a few steps ahead of the rest because you have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish or where you want it to go. People therefore tell you, you inspire them.
- You immensely enjoy the small, beautiful, free things in life and this always makes you feel happy and blessed. Especially when you are in nature, with which you feel a very strong connection.
I think it’s safe to say that if you honestly recognize most of these, you’re probably a highly sensitive person. I’ve learned that being highly sensitive is a talent. People usually think we are shy and introverted, or overly emotional or that they have to walk on eggshells around us.